Debate of the Decade: Going Green vs Economic Performance

unnamed

Which side you pick?

This might the most severe debate occurring between economists and environmentalists in the mean time and in the next 10 years. Where are we from this never-ending clash? Does compromising one over another is the sustainable solution for the improvement of Earth’s habitants?

BUT who said that you have to choose only one?!

2 Likes

It depends.

From my perspective, economic performance is based on the growth potential. From default, technically, we are naturalists, seen that we didn’t have all this technology at our disposal. As humanity progressed and came up with ways to become more automated, which made life simpler and comfortable to them at the time, having the principle of working smarter not harder affected the future generations, us. More refined knowledge about economics and mechanization were developed. Researches and more researches about the new way of doing things being made, making the past generations leave aside the basics of survival. The fact that it was something new and interesting awoke humanity’s curiosity about the capabilities of the new inventions “What more can we do?” “What are our limitations regarding intelligence?” and a set of other questions. Researches about the impact of all this on the nature took too long to raise interest. When it finally came to the surface, it was already “too late” to go back. People were too engulfed by the new world. The lack of balance between the technological advancements and the implementation of naturalism on the society as it walked forward created such a gap that environmentalism sounds something out of this world. The tables have turned: The future now is being green.

1 Like

I do not think that us as the world in general are moving towards the healthy world us as a community are looking for. Most of the corporates are valuing money over a healthy nature. We know how they use all the Africa resources and how they cut down the Amazonian Rainforest and all the other parts of the world. I’ve heard about the Nestle and how they are polluting rivers. I would love to see the change lyynked is mentioning though. I know how they’re doing environmental protests and strikes around the globe and I feel the power of the new generation of nature protecters but still I do feel that money rules the world. Until big companies decide to prevent the destruction of the world, we’ll have to support each other in the small changes we make.

I think eventually there will be companies emerging all over the world to solve the environmental problems that the present companies and governments are causing right now, because people will keep demanding to live healthier and safer lives (you wouldn’t like your house to flood every year because the river adjacent to your city grows due to climate change right?), and where’s demand, there’s money, and if people are willing to pay for this services that’s a huge incentive for creating not only green businesses but companies that can solve this problems at a large scale.
And people are actually using their money right now to support this movements! Why every big company in the US paints a rainbow on their logo on the pride day? Because they know that common people are willing to buy their products more if they sympathies with their values. The green movement will never stop growing just because climate change ain’t stopping either and it is affecting our lives.
So the more we understand about climate change, the more we push companies to go green, etc… I think eventually the need for economic performance will lead the economy to go full green, not by government regulations, but because people acknowledge the problem and takes action.

1 Like

Exactly. Why not both? Going green does not necessarily mean lesser economic performance.

Through my search for a more natural approach to gardening, I found biofertilizers. One example is inoculating seedlings using mycorrhiza. According to the link, using this biofertilizer can reduce the amount of chemical fertilizer needed by up to 65 to 85 percent. That is a very large percentage even on the low estimate. The one-time applied fungus not only helps absorb water and nutrients but can also prevent root infections and increase drought tolerance. Mykovam: Effective Growth Enhancer For Coconut

If greener technologies can increase economic performance adoption would be so much faster.