Do you have a garden?

I think the core of sustainability is the possibility of growing your own food. Do you own a garden or have a small part of your apartment where you grow stuff?

2 Likes

I love gardening but being in San Diego it gets very hot here in the summer! A lot of my vegetables I tried planting outside multiple times have died on me. So I’ve recently invested in an indoor hydroponic system. It’s great and well worth the money! Just needs a well lit area and I can grow a variety of herbs, vegetables and even some fruit in a small space.

1 Like

Hmm I never been to San Diego but yeah I saw the climate in Cali, it was good for my injury ridden body (ex-basketball player) but yeah there are a few plants in the San Diego area that can be grown, but it needs a lot more things than in other cliamtes.

1 Like

Excellent point. Gardening is a wonderful idea, and many people can reap the benefits. For others where it’s too hot or space is an issue - hydroponic solutions are great.

Have you seen much about container gardening or using cement blocks? By planting each plant in it’s own separated section, it creates a unique soil atmosphere for each veg/herb/fruit - allowing you to grown more diverse plants and stack to save space!

I actually have one! A pretty small one but you’ve got to start somewhere, right? Tomatoes, pineapple and some herbs to spice up my food. My main goal with this garden is to have spices to replace the industrialized ones. Way healthier, tasteful and makes an incredible decoration. All this and still is a pretty peaceful and calming hobby. Unfortunetly the space i have available to grow stuff is really small (pots and pans), if this wasn’t the case i would lose no time in growing some fruit trees. I also reutilize egg shells and fruit peels for the soil, it is a great way of using it (organic fertlizer)

I also have a small garden, I’ve planted 2 orange trees because I love oranges and they smell and taste way better than the ones I used to buy in the grocery shop. It takes more time to take care of the trees than just buy oranges, but that is part of the process. I enjoy taking care of my oranges even though it doesn’t take much off my time due to the good climate of my country. I’d recommend everyone to try out if you have the opportunity to.

Yes! and I love it. I actually have tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber and many more. It’s great to taste and eat your own food. In my experience, they really are more tasteful than the vegetables I can buy at the supermarket. It really makes a difference, and it’s not that hard to start.

I have no space to plant in ground so I make do with pots. I started with herbs mostly. Prior to that I planted any and all seeds I encounter. From whatever fruit I was eating to seeds/cuttings I encounter whenever I was outside. Now I mainly plant edible things. I have planted leafy greens(lettuce and arugula), tomatoes, chilis and herbs. I also have a few fruit trees. Figs, mulberries and a satsuma. The satsuma has yet to fruit but both the fig and mulberries I have harvested from. Oh, my profile pic is the very first pineapple I ever harvested from a crown I grew. Much sweeter than store bought because really waited for it to ripen.

Some of us had gardens and some of us just used pots and jars so I decided to share an easy way to start growing an apple tree at home.
How to grow an apple tree in 5 steps
First, cut open an apple and wrap it up in foil and place it in the fridge for about 3 days. After 3 days, take it out of the fridge and carefully begin removing the seeds. Seeds are ready to plant but first carefully peel the skin out of each seed and then insert the germinated apple seeds tail down in a bit of soil. Cover it up with soil and spray it with some water. Soon your little apple tree will begin to sprout.

I hope it will help you to do it on your own.
Soon I’ll give you information about other trees.

Planting seeds from the fruits I’ve eaten is something that I did a long time ago. I had a mix of tomatoes, rambutan, tamarind and a bunch of citrus trees(I still have one left from my planting from over a decade ago) and a bunch more that I have forgotten. I still do (I have a couple of citrus seedlings at the moment). I think it is an overall great idea. I think one should be aware of certain things to manage our expectations. For tomatoes and chilis for example, I have successfully grown them from seed and was able to harvest very similar fruit from where the seeds came from. In contrast, an apple seed most probably won’t (unless it is from the Antonovka variety which I have read grows true to variety from seed). If you plan to use them as future root stock, seed grown trees are great (that will be the purpose of the two citrus seedlings I am growing). Another important factor is some fruit trees have male and female trees and to have fruit, you must have both male and female trees. A third factor to consider is time. For citrus trees, from anecdotal evidence ranges from 1 year(very few incidents) to as long as 27 years to fruit or even never. For dates(if the date hasn’t been processed where the seed is killed) I’ve read from 5 to 10 years before they flower(mature) and only then would you know if the date tree you have is male or female.

This is not to say don’t plant seeds from the fruits we eat. I mean, you will lose nothing if you manage your expectations. Remember, some of the sought after fruit varieties are from volunteer trees or wild grown trees. The granny smith apple is an example.

So, what if my seed grown tree doesn’t bear fruits or the fruits aren’t edible? For citrus trees, you can try inversion grafting. It’s just harvesting a scion and then reattaching it but upside down. They say this hastens fruiting. If you want a sure fire way to get great fruits, you need to procure scions of known varieties you want.

1 Like

Okay. I have to share this gardening tip. I have had fig trees in pots for a few years now. Some fig varieties have very strong smelling leaves. Particularly of cat urine. So you can imagine it attracts cats. I do not own cats but there are strays that come near my house. I have tried to discourage cats from relieving themselves in the pots using different methods with varying success. I initially tried addressing the issue by making use of broken clay pots and using pieces to cover the topsoil. This works relatively well as long as you can manage heat and moisture because the clay maintains both. As I do not have enough broken pots, I had to come up with another solution for the rest of my potted plants. I tried using plastic mesh to surround the pots as a physical barrier. Unfortunately, the trunk on the plants with the mesh barriers became infested with woolly aphids. As a temporary solution, I placed some of my few citrus and oregano plants to cover the topsoil on my fig trees. This does seem to deter cats but will eventually need to be replaced as the citrus and herbs will need to be up-potted. Now, for the last and best method I used. I am very satisfied and it will not require much, maybe a sprayer for efficient delivery and a very common kitchen ingredient. Vinegar. I used coconut vinegar but others will probably work. Maybe 2 tablespoons diluted in 200 ml or so of water. Spray that on areas that cats frequent after cleaning any mess they have made. It has been several weeks and no traces of cats near my plants. I prefer this method over the others.

1 Like

I sometimes use bing.com for my search engine and they have inspirational quotes or important news on the front page when you open their browser. Today it was an amazing picture of red tulips which are one of my favorite flowers in the whole world. Under the search bar was this forward link “From tulips to sunflowers, these 30 images of spring blooms will inspire you to start a garden”. Most of our gardens have other plants also, such as oranges or apples, but I like the idea of a major search engine encouraging owning gardens. Here is an image for those who do not use Microsoft edge’s search engine.