Don't want to waste food? Craft a compost bin!

So we all here know very well that around 30% of the food we buy gets in the trash, this is a lot of food.
On the other hand, for those of us that have our own garden growing vegetables, sometimes the soil isn’t of good quality and the veggies can’t grow well. We can actually solve these two problems with one simple habit: throw your leftovers on a compost bin.

I know you may think of a compost bin as something nasty, that smells a lot and stuff, but this is actually not true if you do it right and you can have it right next to your kitchen without any hygiene issue.
I’ve built one of this in at home. Just used a big black plastic bag, put it in a container with some dirt inside and some worms that a friend gave me. This little creatures will eat almost everything you throw at them in a few days and convert it into organic matter. So no smell, no attracting insects, everything is clean and looks just like soil. You can then remove some of this compost and fertilize your garden.

Some tips:

• Worms like humid places but no wet. Usually the humidity of the veggies are just ok, but check it from time to time.
  • If you place it outside cover the top so when it rains it doesn’t makes a disaster.
  • Do not expose it directly into the sun.
  • Don’t throw meat in it.
  • Be careful with any acid leftover like lemons, onions, etc. It’s not a huge deal but I’m pretty sure the worms don’t like them either.
  • Make sure the bottom is full of soil and the top is covered in green material so they always have food available.

There is also different types of composters, I leave you some ideas:
The traditional composter, just like mine.
The flat composter: very simple, just make a hole in the backyard with something to cover it, trapdoor-shape.
The Urban Worm Bag for those of you that want to keep it simple https://urbanwormcompany.com/
There are more sophisticated ones like this one https://assets.leevalley.com/Size4/10102/CT123-3-stage-composter-i-0001.jpg.

So there are plenty of options! Now that you know this is on you to try it out. You won’t regret it.
Have you tried one of this already?

1 Like

Haven’t tried yet, definitely will! Thanks for the info.

Thank you so much!
I have been looking forward to composting but never took the initiative.
I will surely do it this weekend.

One of my friends does it and he has told me that it makes a big difference regarding his waste. He has reduced waste levels to a minimum.

Do the worms have to be a specific size?

My family has the compostable bin and they frequently use and fill it (a big family). After it is filled they are gathering all of it to use it for the garden trees. I work in a Coffe shop at the moment and the expresso Coffe waste I gather and use for the trees because I’ve heard it is very healthy for them? Anyone knows if I’m making a good decision? :joy:

No I don’t think so, they just eventually grow anyways.
You don’t really put much care on them either. They do their own population control, grow when there is food, rest when is not much, so don’t worry about it and use the ones you can find. :slight_smile:

I’ve had one for some time now and gosh, it was one of the smallest changes i made that had the biggest improvement in my journey to be completely zero waste. It saves up money (i dont have soil like, attached to the ground so i had to buy some), keeps your kitchen clean free of smell and your plants happy.

Thank you! I just set up my first compost bin. It was so easy! I’m glad I found this post that made me do it LOL.

Not all of your kitchen waste needs to go to your compost bin. Set aside a few tomato seeds. That cut end of your spring onions/chives/leeks with the roots on? You can grow those. If the stems of your herbs like basil and rosemary look fresh enough, you can try and root those to grow your own. That small piece of ginger that is hard to peel or you have forgotten and dried up a bit? go ahead and plant it. You can even go as fast as trying to plant a pineapple top, but that will take at least a year to bear fruit.

1 Like

Assuming you are a new gardener by your username, we have a topic about having gardens, that maybe you could share the experience with us and how you manage to take the time off your day to take care of your garden. Is it fun? Is it helpful for you? Do you find your veggies more delicious than the market products?

I have been planting seeds/cuttings into pots for over a decade. Been doing it for the past couple of years with more focus. I have no space to plant in ground so I have that limitation. I consider myself as a newbie as I keep discovering new things everytime I look. There’s always something to learn. So in that way, I feel I will always have that newbie gardener sense of wonder. I’ll look into our gardening section and share what I have been able to do with the limitation of planting in pots.

Is one of the old ones? Send me the link please :slight_smile:

If anyone feels like they need a compost bin, but can not go through the little struggle to craft one or use one of the traditional ones, I posted something for you on this forum. I have not actually tried it myself because I can not get it shipped to my address. But the concept seems pretty good and it is easier for busy people or families. I still do use my traditional compost bin and I have been just fine, but this is an upgrade someone might enjoy!

3 common kitchen scraps that you can transform into fertilizer/garden aid.

Eggshells. I have seen people put eggshells directly on the ground but I am not sure how much of it you are releasing into the ground that your plants can absorb. With other common kitchen ingredients and equipment, you can make your own CalPhos so you won’t need to buy commercially made preparations. How To Make CalPhos: Water Soluble Calcium Phosphate from Egg Shell [ Video ] | Vermiculture and Composting for Organic Food Farming Today

Banana peels. Yes, you can compost it . But you can also make a tea from it and even the by product banana peel can further be dried and ground for later use as fertilizer.

Lastly, garlic and onion peels. Not as fertilizers but as a bug spray, a natural and safe alternative. You can add natural oils like neem to your peels after you blend them in water. Onion & Garlic for Bug Spray | Home Guides | SF Gate

Remember, these links are just the first I found searching online. Go to your favorite search engine or social media platform. Lot at what others are doing. Not only are you making full use of your kitchen waste, you are not adding to the commercial fertilizers and insecticides that leech into the environment when you water or if it rains. You might not see it like plastic waste but it does have a huge impact on our environment.

What about you, do you have any tips on making use of kitchen waste for the garden or household?