Family business just opened! Fresh veggies at my doorstep

Where i live (a very industrialized city) the only way of getting veggies was at the market. Most of the time you don’t know for how long they have been there, the procedure they’ve gone through and the chemicals used to make them look like that (it’s so weird how big they are these days!). Since the COVID-19 lockdown started, an alternative to get fresh veggies has appeared in my area: Door-to-door sellers! Out of nowhere, you would just hear someone screaming “Veggies and fruits!” and that grow some curiosity in me to see what’s that about. A local family was producing their own food (fruit, vegetables and greens in general) putting them in a wagon and just driving around selling them to whoever wants to buy it. While this isn’t actually a new shop opening, it’s a small busines that just opened around my area. Now every night i catch myself looking at the clock waiting for it to mark down 8:00 PM to hear them screaming so i can buy some. As long as they’re up and running, that’s my go to market from now on!

1 Like

That’s a great idea. It also makes people use cars less. It’s better to have one vehicle delivering than 10 cars at the same time going to the shop.
How good are the vegetables?
I’m going to talk to my neighbors, maybe they know someone who does the same where I live!

1 Like

I have seen this happen in the summer, but they would only sell exotic fruits. I do not think someone would start doing this as a full-time job due to the high air pollution in my city, unless they cover them up or something. What I constantly see is the small “shops” in the side of the road in the roads that lead to touristic cities or the beaches.

They replaced the cars with wagons so, no gasoline burning, which is even better! The vegetables are great, honestly. You can see how fresh and unmodified they’re (they don’t take a whole month to go bad and don’t look like monsters lol).
You should definitely talk to them about this. Even if you guys don’t have one already, ya’ll should build one for yourselves, like, a garden with something in everyone’s house. Example: Your house has pumpkins, left-side neighbor has cilantro, right-side neighbor has broccoli, and go on like this. If anyone needs something from someone else’s house they’d just take it and let them do the same with yours! (Is just an idea but, let me know if something like that comes up on your community. I’d be really cool, to be honest). I wish i could do something like that but, my house is one of the few that has something like that. The fact that our neighbors aren’t that welcoming doesn’t add up to this community garden happening.

1 Like

Bummer. The air pollution still plays a role in the lack of people growing their own stuff. Unfortunately, it is way out of our control and moving to a less industrialized area would be a solution. Although i dont think it’s impossible to do this in a polluted area but, you’d spend a lot more on gear to maintain it, which could become expensive and time-consuming. My city has a lot of that too, it’s like, a way of giving tourists the “full experience” of the people who lives in said touristic region. I live 30 minutes away (walking, gone there by feet sometimes) from the beach, but since my area is too overloaded with people and big companies, it isn’t considered touristic. Doesn’t have that nice look of a distant-from-society beach, so people prefer to go to the country side.

1 Like

I actually love the idea that you mentioned. It would benefit in two ways. The neighbourhood will have plenty of vegetables and it would improve relationships between each other because it would need the whole group to take care of the mixed gardens and they’d communicate more often. I’m daydreaming right now lol. I’ll try to bring this alive in my city.

1 Like

Haha i’m glad you liked it! Hope everything works out for you.

Just watched an episode of the series “Tomorrow’s Food”. They featured a company that had their farm in a commercial business district. They had it in a building. Most vertical farms that I have seen used still used sunlight. Not this farm. Aside from growing their produce using aquaponics, they had led lights to replace the sun. It was supposed to be a correct combination of red, blue, and green lights that mimics sunlight. Since they are already within the city, they can harvest fresh and deliver very quickly. I did not see how they powered their farm but since they used LEDs, that could easily be powered solar panels.

1 Like