How can we reduce food waste? Some tips

Hi guys, I wanna share with you some helpful tips that may help you reduce food waste in our lives.

• Ethical farming practices that reduce waste (more reason to support your local farms who are already doing this).
  • Lobby for restaurants and grocery stores to redistribute fresh food to those who need it instead of letting food go to waste
  • Educate consumers about the impacts of food waste
  • Consume less change behaviors around purchasing food
  • Get better acquainted with the shelf life of different fresh foods, donate what you don’t eat and compost your food scraps
  • Buy groceries from companies like Misfits Market or Imperfect Foods who sell edible produce that just look a little unique. Plus, they’re cheaper than most grocery store prices.

If you want to add more tips, just leave a comment below!!

1 Like

One thing I decided to do in the last months is ditching big companies products if I could find them in local small shops. I shop at local farmers now because I trust them more than big companies who might use all sorts of chemicals to prevent the vegetables and fruits. I think it is way better to support our local community than big corporates which most of them harm nature.

I’ve seen some restaurants that donate the remaining food for those in need AND let them spend the night indoors, which is awesome. I think that something that more restaurants should do is grow their own veggies. I don’t eat out a lot (specially those days) but i know that if i’m going out to eat i would 100% rather go to a place that harvest their own food than a big place that just buys all their stuff in great quantity for days. It just feels more welcoming and comforting to know that the food you’re eating had a special treatment throughout the whole process before it got to your table. Small businesses are closest you’re going to get to a “mother’s culinary” when you’re eating out, trust me.

Small restaurants in my city buy their veggies in the local farmers, because it is cheaper. The problem comes from the big ones that buy large quantities in the market. I’ve seen many big companies that throw their products at the end of the night. From our point that’s such a bad thing to do, but knowing the economics and how the system works, I can see why they do it in the first place. Sadly.

It really is sad. I’ve also recently read that Dunkin Donuts throws away the donuts they don’t sell at the end of the day.

I can’t really understand how thats allowed. I know, thats their production, they can do what they want, but it’s not right to do that, knowing that there’s hungry people outside…

Article

I know it is sad but think of this. All the food wasted could have been sold during the day and made the money. If it comes to a practice that all the left overs are given away, many people would just wait for the end shift and then ask for the leftovers, thus making no money for the company. The other thing is written in the article, the companies are trying to avoid lawsuits about food poisoning. That’s how the world seems to work even though I do not support this.
I’ve heard that LV burns the products they do not sell because they do not want to give them in sale due to their company being a high value brand. That seems something terrible also.

We discussed some time about the restaurants and grocery stores throwing up their food instead of sharing it with the homeless and we gave our ideas. We were told that they could not give away the food because if one of the receivers got sick the restaurant or the grocery stores get sued. I researched some and that is not true. in 1996 Bill Clinton signed in the Good Samaritan law food donation. So if you make a good faith donation of what looks like as good quality food you can not be held to civil or criminal liability.
I have seen some pizza stores that deliver canceled orders or leftovers to the Local Fire and Police Department.

Look into fitness buffs and how they eat. They got it right with the meal prepping. This will require you to cook but it will have great benefits for you aside from eating healthy. Your meals will be portioned and prepared to how much caloric intake you need, no waste.

You will need to shop in bulk. This will be cheaper for you so saving money is a bonus. Buying in bulk usually eschews styrofoam and/or plastic trays when you buy chicken for example. Buying vegetables in bulk is a great opportunity to learn how to make use of them. For example, I see people chop off the base and roots of leeks and spring onions and toss them due to them being too pungent. You can use the base chopped up in place of onions. The large central stem of broccoli or cauliflower can be peeled and be chopped up and cooked. Most fitness personalities and blogs will have basic recipes that you can follow. It is still a good idea to learn food macros and in the long run, this will also be healthier for you.