How community gardens help

Introduction

We can imagine a community garden as a single piece of land that’s maintained and gardened by multiple people or groups of people. The land may be collectively owned, partly owned or a varied mix. They fulfil multiple objectives such as supply of fresh produce, physical or mental well being, and aesthetic pleasure.

The Food Desert Effect

Food deserts are areas that have limited access to affordable and, more importantly, nutritious food. They are the opposite of a “Food Oasis” which have abundance of nutrient rich food. Such food deserts leave their mark on the residential population of the area – they are ultimately less well nourished as opposed to the food oasis areas.

Role of community gardens in the Zero Waste approach and environmental benefit in general

• They provide fresh produce – increasing the nutritional intake of the people that subscribe to them.

• They can help fight one of the proposed effects of climate change – which is expected to be a global decline agricultural output. Such gardens can serve as local “hotspots” of food material.

• Break down of social alienation – the rapid urbanization has given rise to social alienation. People involved in garden projects come in direct contact with local people.

• Usage of compost – many people might not utilize the leftovers to create compost pits simply because they may not have any use for it. Engaging in community gardens gives them a reason to actively make compost.

• Reduction of pollution and throwables – availability of fresh food items locally means one is less likely to take trips to the grocery stores, ultimately meaning they use up fuel less often and there’s less bags and packaging to be got rid of.

2 Likes

That’s so true. It also brings people together, which is something that we’re desperately in need (not in-person contact, 'cause mrs.rona). I’ve recently found out that a neighbor has a custard-apple tree and a soursoup one when he came to my house to offer me some, since he couldn’t have all of that (it was really fruitful so, a large amount of it would go to waste). It made me so glad to see that even though it was two expensive fruits (where i live, at least) he was giving it away because he know that it’d only go to waste. Having your own personal garden it’s cool, yeah, you’re the only one in charge and can take decisions on what to plant or what to remove without having second opinions on it. But having other people with the same interests as you, helping you build something with their own hands to create something bigger (you could maintain a really BIG garden for yourself, it would probably be a full-time job, though) is just awesome and makes you fee like a part of something. Also, it would make the community a lot prettier with all the plants around.

PS: I have never talked to this neighbor so he coming to my house out of nowhere was a big surprise. And a lovely one. Now i know that i have some more people harvesting, even though it isn’t public, just knowing that there are some plant lovers in my neighbourhood makes me happy.

When i vistit my father’s old town everyone there comes to visit and they bring some of the things they harvest from their gardens. It’s a village so everyone plants for their needs. No big markets there. I find them very friendly and everything they bring seems more delicious than the ones I got in my city. I know for sure it’s because the land is more fertile there and they take great care of their crops.

That sounds like a movie! So wonderful.
We all have to learn from what they do. Planting our own food has to be the beginning of a big change.

It makes me so happy when someone I know tells me that they started planting.
Also, these community gardens can also provide for those in need.

thats a great idea tbh. a set fraction of the produce could be donated or given away for free.