Inventions that help our cause

A factory in Turkey started to produce roof tiles that serve as bird shelters.
Birds are losing spots to build nests. That’s how we end up finding nests on statues, streetlamps, windowsills, alleys. Bird populations are suffering. Klaas Kuiken, the Dutch product design agency, created a roof tile that also functions as a bird house. This design was snatched by Hitat Terra (https://hititterra.com/), a Turkish terracotta manufacturer. Mahmoud Basic, the regional director for the national parks, explained that the tiles were being created and distributed free of charge.

You can find more info about this in this link, where there is a video explanation also. https://theheartysoul.com/roof-tiles-bird-shelter/

In 2001, India began building streets that are held together utilizing polymer pastes produced using destroyed plastic squanders. These plastic streets have built up no potholes and breaks following quite a while of utilization, and they are less expensive to construct. As time wore on, polymer streets end up being shockingly tough, winning help among researchers and policymakers in India just as adjoining nations like Bhutan. As indicated by One Green Planet, the locale of Tamil Nadu, in southern India, has transformed in excess of 1,600 tons of waste plastic into 620 miles (or approximately 1,000 kilometers) of streets in the previous five years. Under the public authority’s huge plastic reusing program, squander pickers gather plastic litter which is destroyed in machines sponsored by the Indian government. At that point, they offer it to street developers, so this implies another sort of benefit for destitute individuals in India.

1 Like

Not exactly an invention, more of a discovery. https://leaps.org/plastic-eating-mushrooms-let-you-have-your-trash-and-eat-it-too/particle-4

I have always been interested but have yet to delve into growing mushroom. I already use fungi as a soil additive/fertilizer together with bokashi to help breakdown compost as part of using biological methods for gardening. The first few discoveries were found to bear edible mushrooms but further research shows common species such as oyster mushrooms and split gill mushrooms grown on special agar receptacles were able to degrade plastic. These are still only in strict laboratory conditions but I might start getting into mushroom growing just to get the ball rolling.

1 Like

I just saw an article about another road made in another country using recycled plastic. The comments were of two minds. One was praising the move and the other saying it only slows down the spread of plastic. Googling plastic roads shows the same thing.

I am in the camp of it only slows it down. I like the concept of using recycled plastics, but not for roads that get baked in the sun, washed over with rains and worn down by the miles of tires going over them. I would prefer if it was used in a less exposed manner. Waste plastic turned into building materials. I think that is the way to go. If there is economic value in waste plastic companies will have greater incentive to recycle them. of course, the better solution is to not have such an excess of plastic waste but that would be a bigger problem to solve.

I just got across this beautiful Instagram post about the Make a Change website. When you search it up, SUNGAI WATCH will pop up and this is the explanation: SUNGAI WATCH IS A COMMUNITY RIVER CLEANUP ORGANIZATION THAT HAS THE MISSION TO PROTECT WATERWAYS, STARTING IN INDONESIA.
At Sungai Watch, we truly believe in the power of data to start a conversation with corporations (regarding their extended producer responsibility), distributors, governments, and consumers. This River Plastic Report features data from the months of August and September 2020, where we collected 5.2 tons of waste. SINCE AUGUST 2020, WE HAVE COLLECTED
250,000 POUNDS OF TRASH
At Sungai Watch, they are developing and testing simple trash barriers to prevent plastic from entering into the ocean and partner with the Indonesian government for mass cleanups. The barrier is so simple it actually looks like a see-through gate, but it is so helpful towards cleaning the water.

Down below is an explanation video from YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL96HVaEgh8
there are more videos in this YouTube channel also

1 Like

Rapid Roll T Solar Power System
An entire solar field unrolls in 2 minutes with up to 16kWp of solar power. It has batteries and inverters built-in for 24/7 power output. Night use or lack of sun has little impact on the effective operation. It is powerful enough for commercial and industrial use. This technology delivers 50%-95% fuel savings in diesel hybrid operation. Reducing fuel convoys/drops saves money and saves lives.
There is more information on their website.

ZERA food recycler
is an updated form of the compost bin. It turns a week worth’s of food waste into homemade fertilizer in less than 24 hours. By adding food waste daily, Zera food recyclers will start breaking it down to create fertilizer and the carbon filter purifies air flow. We can then use the fertilizer for lawns, gardens, and more. This technology is quicker, cleaner, and more convenient than composting.

1 Like

Does that one use cocopeat pellets? I saw a similar device as an ad on social media. I liked the idea and would welcome the ease and fast turnover to ready to use fertilizer. Unfortunately, the one I saw a cost around a thousand dollars. Hopefully it is due to the technology being new that makes the price a bit high. Something like that in every kitchen would greatly reduce waste.

1 Like

Last time I checked, ZERA Food Recycler was worth around 600$ so it is not that cheap but some reviews given to the product would rate it high because the compost comes like an almost a cocoa powder-looking product. Another review cited this "I have run over 6 loads. Everything you can imagine from the usuals to tea bags and meat, citrus, dairy, and even food packaging that says compostable. It’s amazing. Actually, I would say it’s shocking. It literally breaks all the composting rules that many of you said could never be broken. It does in 24 hours what doesn’t seem possible. Citrus, meat, dairy, literally all kinds of stuff, moldy, wet, dry, and it worked. I have to say it was way beyond worth waiting for.
The only bad reviews I could find were about the time needed for this product to be added to the market. These reviews were as old as 2017, so I believe everyone who wanted the product already got it and might be using it.

1 Like

Summer is coming and when I think about summer, the first thing that comes to mind is beaches and the sea. We all know that humans have been polluting waters, the seas, and the oceans with all kinds of plastics, oil, unrecyclable products, etc. I came across the Seabin Project which is amazing. The Seabin Project is literally a bin that would filter the waters and keep the waste. It collects all the trash in the water and is capable to catch 90k plastic bags, 38k disposable cups 17k plastic bottles 167k plastic utilities per year. This is such an amazing project and it has 860 different Seabins around the world which have collected around 1811594 kg of waste till now. It does filter 25k liters of water per hour and it runs 24/7. It costs only 1$ per day to run it. That is a huge deal. Seabin is capable of catching microplastic, plastic fibers, and oil also.
Here is a picture of the product. People can donate or buy.

1 Like

Drinkable Sea Water
Maria Telkes, in 1920, when she was just twenty years of age, she concocted an arrangement of sun powered distilation that can make ocean and sea water drinkable. The system planned to pour salt water into a special container covered with a transparent glass sheet, which was to be exposed to the sun, so the sun’s rays could carry out his own water purified.
A graduated Italian student, Gabriele Diamanti, also has patented a similar system called solar desalination. This device can generate about 5 liters of fresh water per day. The system is called Eliodomestico and is similar to a Moka coffee machine upside down, where the upper part is filled with salt water, which evaporates with solar energy and is pushed towards the bottom of the furnace through a capacitor to be then collected with a plate that is extracted from the bottom. A few families, particularly for nations in a tough situation, they would then be able to approach new water where before was unrealistic.
Finale, the University of Delf, in the Netherlands, has succeeded in a similar intent. Everything is based on the technology of windmills, In practice collect sea water and exerting a pressure of 60 bar releasing salt, making water drinkable.
Possibly one day, on the planet, there will be no more issues about drinkable water.

1 Like

The new thing in town! People stick their chewing gum to this board instead of littering it. All the gum gets collected and turned into skateboard wheels.
French design understudies Hugo Maupetit and Vivian Fischer have built up a technique for gathering disposed of gum and transforming it into brilliant, reused plastic skateboard wheels. Gum, which has existed since ancient times, was initially produced using the sap of various trees. Yet, most present-day gum comprises an engineered elastic called polyisobutylene that is additionally used to make vehicle tires.
It is assessed that just 10% of this gum is discarded accurately, which implies that in the UK alone, neighborhood committees need to go through £60 million a year cleaning up the other 90%.
The operation consists of 5 steps: 1- place the various chewing gum collection boards in town centers or near skate parks. 2- the boards are collected every week to be transformed in a factory (might be more frequent if people use it more) 3- the whole is crushed and mixed to give a compact texture 4- the chewing gum is then turned into a small ball to be machined 5- the wheels are machined and stamped with the slogan and partnership, Vans x Mentos.

GoSun Stove
Hotter days signal that it’s an ideal opportunity to start up the barbecue and invest some energy outside. Yet rather than the standard act of grilling sausages, burgers, and ribs over hot coals, which create carbon, some eco-devotees have gone to a sharp and much ecologically option called solar cookers / ovens.
Sun based cookers are intended to turn the sun’s energy to warmth and cook. They’re by and large low-tech gadgets designed by the actual client’s with materials that concentrate daylight, for example, mirrors or aluminum foil. The huge benefit is that suppers can be effectively set up without fuel and draws from a free fuel source: the sun.

These sun powered cookers are so popular that there’s currently a business opportunity for business forms that work similar as appliances. The GoSun oven, for instance, prepares food in an emptied tube that effectively traps heat energy, coming to up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit in minutes. Clients can cook, fry and heat as much as three pounds of food at a time.
Dispatched in 2013, the first Kickstarter crowdfunding effort raised more than $200,000. The organization has since delivered another model called the GoSun Grill, which can be worked during the day or around evening time.
The GoSun products start from 100$ and differ from size and what is used for. In their shop we can find heaters,coolers,chargers, accesors etc. Everything is powered by the sun. Solar Coolers never need ice. These portable 12 volt fridges are run off lithium battery, solar or grid power. They keep food and drinks cold or frozen, dry and organized.
Charge your phone, tablet, and camera with the sun. Designed with portability in mind, these lightweight panels GoSun Chargers will keep you juiced up wherever the adventure leads.
Powerful and perfect for camping, living off-grid lights.
The GoSun Flow is a portable solar water purification system that is a solar water purifier and can also provide a portable sink and hot solar shower with additional components.
GoSun Accessories, add-ons, and replacements - find the perfect addition to your solar products below. There are products such as sport bags, cooking utilities, pans, adapters and logo tees.

1 Like

I dislike changing the ink cartridge on the printer similarly to how much I hate how the cartridges can’t be reused proficiently. So this creation truly evoked an emotional response to me and probably to many of you.
At the point when this innovation turns into a reality, you’ll never need to discard a pencil stub again or look out to buy another ink cartridge. Hoyoung Lee’s pencil printer isolates wood from pencils utilizing the lead to print records. Even better, there’s an inherent eraser part that permits the client to eliminate text from pages so you can reuse it again and again – so you’re taking care of your cash and the environment. Since the printer uses graphite as its ink, the final prints have a unique hand-written outlook and a personal touch. Inspired by the hexagon state of a standard pencil, this is just perhaps the most minimal and productive yet in addition the most climate agreeable printing machine.
pencil-printer-print-with-a-pencil-stub-03