Making money, freeing up space and letting go!

This is actually n economic/passing forward advice for anyone who’s trying to make some spare money and avoid throwing away things seen as trash. So my family actually holds a garage sale. It’s not our main income but makes some decent money towards their project, which is building a church. A couple of months ago they decided to set this garage sale up with secondhand shoes, clothes and toys that we had laying around the house. I didn’t put much thought into it at the beginning (sales are not my thing) but it turned out to be super useful! We gathered everything within reasonable condition that we didn’t use or didn’t want anymore and just advertised it. Clean house, money to their church, forwarding items and affordable clothes!

I would strongly advice you doing the same, honestly. If you’re not interested in selling, donate it! Helping people and cleaning your house makes you feel awesome!

Has anyone ever held something like that? If so, how did it turn out for you?

1 Like

That’s awesome. Garage sales are still a great option to get rid of things and make some money.
The best part is that the things you sell don’t end up in the trash. You can be sure that someone else will give good use to your stuff.

1 Like

I would actually love to do some garage sales but I have not been able to do it because I do not really have that many things, to begin with. What I usually do is gather all my clothes that I do not use anymore or which are small for me now, and donate them to my local church. I actually feel someone is in need of what I do not like anymore, and being able to fulfill their need makes me happy

1 Like

That’s great! Not having enough stuff to put on a garage sale is actually a good sign that you’re on the right path to zero waste (or that you’re maintaining). Donating is always a good choice, there’s always people in need. “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”, right? Keep being awesome!

1 Like

I have never held a garage sale but I’ve sold/given away some unused stuff at home.

Over the years, a significant amount of books piled up at home. A relative regularly gifted us a ton of books for a time ever since he learned that we loved reading. I’ve tried to share this bounty to family and friends but it was slow going. I found a nearby public library and donated almost all of the books given to us and some older books we had.

When a family member had hip replacement surgery( one after the other), the hospital supplied a second walker. Since it wasn’t going to be used, I decided to sell it at half of what it sells for in medical supply shops. I posted it for sale online and quickly got a buyer. I explained to the guy buying it that it was basically unused. To my surprise, that wasn’t what he was concerned over. I had to explain that, no the “previous” owner is alive and well.

Reusing is always better than recycling. Buying an item from someone that has used it for sometime but does not have any use for it anymore can make you more environmentally friendly and sustainable. Also its an amazing way to meet new people!

2 Likes