Spicing things up!

As i mentioned before in this forum, i just started a small garden. It’s still very smalll and doesn’t have a lot of variety, so i’m looking for some suggestion of what i should harvest. Even though i would love to have some plants to decorate my backyard, my main goal with this garden is to produce vegetables and spices that i can use for my own consumption. Does anyone have any suggestions of what spices are easy to grow and taste good? Mind you i’m not an expert, i had my food prepared using industrialized spices for almost all of my life so, even a simple one could really blow my mind. Different kinds of peppers, strong ones (i heard that indian food is really well seasoned with a great variety of spices to prepare their meals so, that could be interesting.) anything really.

Oh, if you have any experience growing any of these, i would love to learn more about where to get them, ideal environment, weather, temperature, how to treat it and how to store it. Thanks!

2 Likes

You should definitely try growing tomatoes. That plant doesn’t need too much care, it just grows haha. I think that depends on the weather.
My plant has grown like 20 tomatoes in 1 month. Thats crazy!
You have to take care of pests, that can kill your plant.

Check this guide out, it was really helpful for me: https://www.almanac.com/plant/tomatoes

Also red pepper is really easy too, as well as cucumbers.

1 Like

Yes, depending on your area and when you are planning to start the garden, there are a variety of vegetables you can produce. For herb and layout ideas, here are some great lists:

1. https://blog.gardenloversclub.com/edible/herb-garden-ideas/
  2. 40+ Small Garden Ideas - Small Garden Designs

I love the ideas of vertical, tiered, spiral and square foot gardening - check them out! It allows you to fit a great variety of herbs or small plants in a given area. Another great benefit is it creates an individual environment for each plant and prevents moisture loss.

also, consider investing in a dehydrator! They are great for drying herbs, fruits and vegetables and fit into our “zero waste” lifestyle by offering us a variety of ways to preserve our fresh produce.

1 Like

Yes! I have grown some spices and herbs in my garden. I also think this is the best way to start a garden because this plants don’t need too much care and are very useful in day to day cooking.
So far I have harvested oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, chives, mint aloysia and some red chili peppers (you can disecate and triturate them or use them as it is). For most of them I bought the seeds from a local grocery or got them as a gift from a family member.

The basil and oregano are SO good. You can put them in almost every meal and perfume the whole kitchen. They also grow and reproduce very well so in a matter of days you can have the garden covered.
Parsley I use it a lot. It grows big and their leaves get very tasty, later it starts to dry off as it forms the seeds, which I’ve heard you can also use to cook!
The rosemary is very well used in meat dishes. Plus the flowers are beautiful.
Mint: be careful with this one! It’s really invasive.
With the peppers I don’t have much experience, the plant died after giving 6 or 7 tiny peppers. I used to water it a lot. Plenty of sun. The weather is mostly hot in here which I thought it will help… no luck :frowning:

You can also grow coriander, mustard, cumin, dill, bay leaf, ginger and even garlic!
As I said, this plants usually don’t need much care and grow on their own, but if you want to make sure they last long try to search for those that already grow on your neighbourhood, maybe some friend or relative already has one.
Good luck and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The vertical and the wheel ones are so awesome, i already saw them in some of my friends’s house. I’m currently using the paint cans one (around 4 to 5 cans) to harvest some cherry tomatoes and pineapples. There are also some clay containers here that i use to grow red peppers, but nothing awesome. I’m certainly going to take a look at making some vertical ones, since it could be a chance for me to expand and looks relatively easy to make. Besides, they’re going to look a lot more pleasant to the eye than my current display haha.

Sounds exactly what i was looking for! A lot of these i’ve only heard of or seen at those cooking videos on youtube, which is unfortunate. The fact that it doesn’t require a lot of care really makes me more inclined to try and grow these right now. I’ll take a look at where to buy them and some recipes to try these new flavours. This was really helpful, thank you so much!

I have some tomatoes in my backyard and they’re thriving! Actually, tomato was the first one i’ve ever tried harvesting. Well, it didn’t go as i expected the first time, which is pretty understandable since i didn’t have the proper knowledge and just did it without giving it much thought. The second time went great, though! I’ll never forget how i felt when i saw the first sign that i was doing something right, my first little tomato.

A couple of the plants that I have and why I choose them over others.

I’ve had figs and mulberries for a couple of years now and I love them both.

They are very easy to propagate. They have many uses beyond their fruits. Unlike many fruit trees, they both will fruit readily, sometimes within a year or less (that is if you procure varieties well suited to your location). You can grow them in pots so space is not an issue. You don’t need a male and female plant. In fact, no pollination is necessary and fruits develop and ripen on their own.

The young and tender leaves are edible for both for man and beast. You can make the leaves into tea. You can cook tender leaves in soups or for wrapping fish for steaming. Using fig leaves, you have the bonus of adding a distinct aroma and flavor of coconut milk without the added fat. Dried fig/mulberry leaves for tea is also an option. The drying process changes the flavors they give. There’s even a recipe online for fig leaf ice cream. Fig Leaf Ice Cream – Garden & Gun

Not inclined to use the leaves for yourself? If you have pet reptiles, or even farm animals, the leaves can be used as feed. There are a few studies that show fig and mulberry leaves have high levels of protein. They are a great supplement to regular feed and increases yield by weight. For the herp enthusiast, nothing beats growing your own food for your pets. You know the feed you will offer does not contain pesticides. Depending on what pet you have, you can share the bounty of the leaves and/or fruit you get from your trees.

1 Like