Start using these reusable items to reduce the waste you generate

We use so many non-reusable items like bottles, jars, containers, pens, notebooks etc. They get used, and thrown out once they cease to have utility. Here, we list a few items of daily use, which if switched to their reusable alternatives, will instantly reduce the amount of waste you generate.

•Water bottle: people often buy water bottles when they visit amusement parks, zoos, camps and other similar places, especially the ones where a bit of walking is required (this causes them to grow thirsty, and they end up buying water). Getting a reusable water bottle will drastically improve the situation. Just ask yourself – Would you be walking for more than a hundred metres or so? If yes, make sure to carry the water bottle with you.

•Reusable cutlery: Most of the restaurants and places deliver plastic spoons, forks and other cutlery with their orders. This is extra waste if you’re ordering from home! Consider investing in a proper set of cutlery at home. While ordering, opt out of cutlery (most modern apps let you do this).

• Reusable grocery bags: Not carrying a grocery bag to the market means you’re going to get bags from the market. This is waste. It Is worth it to have a grocery bag ready, even more than one – depends on your needs. In the long run, it will definitely save wastage of countless shopping bags.

• Reusable milk bottles: consider having metallic/ceramic or glass milk containers/bottles which are of a permanent nature. Using them instead of temporary – throw and use plastic bottles will save quite a bit of waste annually.

• Refillable ink pens: This one speaks strongly for the students or people who write a lot. Consider changing the pen type if your favorite pen requires new cartridges/plastic refills each time the ink runs out. Over the course of time, these bits add up, this can be prevented by using refillable pens. Make sure to buy glass ink pots to reduce plastic usage!

More ideas coming in the next post.

1 Like

Great post. I wanna add some items to your list that may be helpful:

• A Reusable Menstrual Cup: Not only do cotton pads or tampons create a ton of waste, their price can really add up over time. This reusable menstrual cup literally lasts for 10 years, and can be left in for up to twelve hours (it’s four times more absorbent than a regular tampon). It’s made of medical-grade silicone. My GF uses one and says that is a life changer.

• Biodegradable Toothbrushes: regular plastic toothbrushes take hundreds of years to break down. So, switching to a bamboo brush can make a difference.

1 Like

Stainless Steel Straws - Even though they’re small, plastic straws are a major source of plastic pollution, but there are plenty of alternatives, like stainless steel straws. They include cleaning brushes so you can make sure the straws are completely clean after use. They can also be washed in the dishwasher.

Mioeco reusable bamboo unpaper towels- Paper towels are one of the most common single-use items. ZeroWaste Kitchen towels are absorbent, washable, and bleachable, so you can use them for sopping up spills, wiping dishes, or for kitchen cleaning tasks. They’re made from cotton and can be washed with the laundry.

2 Likes

When i was younger a rich uncle of mine always used to bring his own cutlery to restaurants. I used to think that it was so weird as if he was mocking us or thought the “normal” stuff they gave us wasnt good enough for him, like, they’re already giving plastic ones to you, why did you have to take this with yourself? Looking back at it now makes me feel so weird haha i’ve became my weird uncle(apart from the rich part)! I don’t know if he did if for the environment though.

LOL!

I hate when you go to not-so-fancy restaurants and the give you plastic dishes too.
There should be a law that prohibits plastic cutlety and dishes in public restaurants.

1 Like

Right? I mean, it is useless, to be honest. A small plastic spoon that sometimes break even before you use it; It will be used once and thrown in the trash. Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me. It is just a waste. Also, they’re sometimes sharp too so, you might get hurt by a plastic utensil.

There’s something I hate a lot. When I and my family go on a trip in the mountains area or somewhere deep in the villages where there might have been some people, I usually find all sort of plastic thrown around the place. Fireplaces recently used soda cans and other stuff. I dislike and I do not encourage buying plastic in the first place, but when it is recycled, you can accept that. But throwing away everything because you are lazy to take it to the recycling bin! That is horrible. I always clean up my mess and theirs too, but I want to make them understand what a nightmare this is for nature so they will not repeat it again.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not all trash or waste is visible. In agriculture and even home gardens, we often use chemicals, fertilizers, and insecticides that runoff and eventually lead out to our waterways.

You would think this would help fertilize the plants in our environment. It does but unfortunately, it helps algal blooms and this depletes the oxygen in the water that many other organisms would not survive. It also causes red tide, the discoloration of water. When these are eaten by shellfish, the toxin is accumulated inside them. If consumed by people, it can lead to paralytic shellfish poisoning.

The effects of insecticide runoff are slightly more visible in its presence. These can be detrimental to wildlife and have been traced to fish kill incidents. The amount used in agriculture is staggering, amounting to roughly 750 million pounds a year.

1 Like