Sustainable Textiles

I find it super interesting, and often overlooked - the sustainable textile and fashion industry.
If you think about it, we’re still making all of our clothing and fabric from crops (or animals). Check out this link to see how people in Texas are making yarn out of fluffy ruminants: Barn to Yarn
All in a sustainable way, without harming the animals.
Also, the hemp industry is looking rather promising! In many ways!
The Texas Industrial Hemp Program was signed into law June 2019.
Here are some amazing Texas based companies that are making sustainable clothing:
Tribe Alive
Koch
Whole Earth Provision
Susanne Taylor

What are some sustainable clothing or textile brands in your area?

2 Likes

I have bought a pair of used Timberland shoes because I wanted waterproof boots for the rainy days and because Timberland is a eco innovative brand. Nearly everything they make use recycled or organic materials. Their leather comes from farms working to restore soil through regenerative farming methods: animals graze around the land in a way that gives it a chance to rest and stimulate grasses to grow; these grasses pull carbon out of the air and store it in the soil, making it richer and healthier. These boots have been very helpful to me, because I do not really like rainy days and getting my feet wet.

Some say the Veja makes the most sustainable tennis shoes on the planet. I own a pair of White V12 Leather. Their website has a unique list that includes Vegan, which I have never seen before in any other shoe brand website. Its stylish shoes utilize wild elastic from the Amazon, which helps battle deforestation since it gives elastic catchers in that piece of the world work, thusly keeping them from chopping down trees to raise their animals. The brand likewise utilizes biological cotton, which really improves the dirt as opposed to harming it. Different pieces of shoes are produced using reused water bottles. I recommend this quality shoe 10 out of 10.

The Philippines produces three textiles derived from red pineapple (piña), hemp (abaca), and banana (jusi). These three fibers are used alone but are also often woven with other more traditionally used materials to increase strength and appearance. They can be grown with less demand for water than cotton. Traditionally grown and used in the Philippines, these fibers are used for their national attire (piña), daily garments for the T’boli tribe (abaca), and even being used in international fashion (jusi). Philippine Textiles and Fabrics - Sustainable Fabric - Discovering Cebu

I am sure if each country looks back into what traditional textiles were used, we can all find more sustainable plants to cultivate.

I did some research on one of the biggest companies in the world, on how they are combating waste and how sustainable their textiles are. NIKE is perhaps the biggest I could think of.
Perhaps the greatest advance on Nike’s excursion to zero carbon and zero waste is in picking their materials since they represent over 70% of any item’s impression. By reusing existing plastics, yarns, and materials, they fundamentally lessen their emissions.
Nike Flyknit is a lightweight texture designed with a normal of 60% less waste than in customary footwear assembling. Each shoe produced using Flyknit contains 6-7 plastic bottles. Flyleather looks, feels, and smells like natural leather, made by binding at least 50% recycled leather fibers with synthetic fibers using a water-powered process. This makes less waste and an environmental change. Since 2008, all Nike Air soles are made out of 1/2 reused producing waste. As of 2020, all of Nike’s AirMI facilities in North America are powered by 100% renewable wind energy. Nike reuses over 90% of lost materials utilized for the Air soles to make new, creative cushioning frameworks. “Light on your feet. Light on waste.” is what Nike calls it. Their reused polyester is produced using plastic bottles which are cleaned, destroyed into drops, changed over into pellets, and afterward turned into a top notch yarn. In addition to reducing waste, recycled poly lowers carbon emissions by up to 30% compared to virgin poly, and diverts an average of 1 billion plastic bottles annually from landfills and waterways.
As of 2020, 100% of the cotton we use across our entire product line is certified organic, recycled, or Better Cotton sourced through the Better Cotton Initiative. Nike reuses more than 1.5 million pounds of cotton every year while really focusing on soil wellbeing and regular environments, without petroleum products, pesticides, or manufactured manures and keeping in mind that regarding the privileges of laborers and farmers. Their recycled nylon is transformed from a variety of materials, like carpet and used fish nets. The nylon is cleaned, sorted, and converted into flakes, all before undergoing a chemical or mechanical recycling process. The new recycled nylon yarn reduces their carbon emissions by up to 50% compared to virgin nylon.

1 Like

It is always good to see large companies such as Nike try to do their part. A local TV show in my country went around (pre-pandemic) and collected plastic bottles to turn into school chairs for public schools. I personally send my plastic waste to recycling. Unfortunately, This does not really address the problem with plastic as waste.

Plastic is not infinitely recyclable. There are dead ends where you can economically reuse plastic waste. It is cheaper to get virgin plastic material (which most are made from oil and gas) rather than recycle used plastic. https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/897692090/how-big-oil-misled-the-public-into-believing-plastic-would-be-recycled

I believe the future is in either create an infinitely recyclable plastic material( some start-ups are already attempting that A new type of plastic may be the first that is infinitely recyclable | New Scientist ) or a bioplastic that is made from renewable resources New sustainable way to create plastics from seaweed - ISRAEL21c and eventually remove the current type of plastic we use.

1 Like