What things have you restored lately and use like brand new?

Have you restored something lately? Share your progress with us.
I managed to restore an old speaker and one of them vinyl players with a friend.

1 Like

My husband and I are working to upcycle our couch and living room table. We have always bought furniture in the past, and thrifted clothing. But this will be an exciting new project! We are looking to do some broken glass/epoxy effects to make the table look luxurious without costing much. And still be able to preserve the beautiful wood that’s lasted over 10 years already.

1 Like

Great question & discussion!
Here’s a PopSugar article to check out, I saved it a while back and made several of the projects through quarantine! It’s an excellent list.

My mouspad was a little bent lately, so i was having some issues with stability and accuracy. I had a purse with in which the material was similar to the mouse pad’s. I didn’t use the purse anymore so i cut it up and i am using it as a mousepad (it actually turned into 2 so i’m not getting a new one for some time now yay). Pretty much a real mousepad.

I have restored an old bike I had at home. It was a disaster, all rusty and the tires were broken.
I’m trying to get rid of my car, using it less and less every month.

My city is great for biking so I had to do something about it.
I took all the rust off and painted it. Bought some new tires and a new seat.
Now I have a “brand new” bike to ride to work.
Plus, it has a little basket in the front so if I wanna go grab some groceries, I can do that too.

I have restored my bike too. I do not have a car. I used to take a bus anytime I had to leave my house, but it was taking me a lot of time. My bike was not rusted but missed the front tire. The front tire is replaced easier so I went to a bike shop and purchased a used old front tire for half the price. I installed it and took it for a ride. Now I’m only missing my helmet, but I do not think there is anything ecological to replace that, right? I guess I will have to buy a plastic one…

There are some recyclable helmets but honestly, I wouldn’t trust them.
When it comes to safety, and most important, your head, you have to wear the right thing.
I did some research when I had to buy a helmet, trying to get a recyclable one, but the “right” choice was to get a regular helmet.

I have some items at home that no longer function or serve a purpose but are kept around due to sentimental reasons. I had an old fashioned sewing machine that was already seized due to disuse. The machine itself had to be sold for scrap but some parts like the front cabinet door, the metal fly wheel and treadle I have set aside. The cabinet door is now serving as the table top I am currently using now for my laptop. When this pandemic is over, I will look for a metal working shop to make the wheel and treadle into stools. I’ll see if i can source salvaged rebar to make those.

The owner of the bar i work on had this old kind of a shelf with a mirror he used to expose expensive drinks a long time ago and he decided to throw it away. I asked for it and he gave it to me. I used some old screws to put it in my bedroom wall. I now use it to hold my books and school supplies because it is easier for me to arrange my bedroom like that. I can use it as a mirror aswell so I do not have to buy a new one. Double the worth.

1 Like

Not something I work on personally but I usually have someone do periodically is to restore my shoes. I haven’t needed to bring in my shoes due to quarantine.

I found it surprising when I saw a video saying that the shoe repair business was growing in North America. This was around over a decade ago. My first thought was “not many have their shoes fixed?”. I find it weird to think of shoes as disposable. Well, when I think of the tons of mass produced shoes that have been flooding the market, then yes maybe they could be considered disposable. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of everyone have access to items such as shoes. But to have them be discarded every year sounds wasteful.

The local shoe industry in my country was decimated. Even the shoe repair business was having trouble since it would be cheaper to buy new but cheap shoes instead of repairing old ones. One company has shifted to mass producing shoes using machines so he can try to match the volume. Some have shifted their business into premium bespoke shoes. That puts it out of reach for the majority but makes up for the lack of volume in sales.

I am thinking of having a pair made since I know they are going last, made locally with recycled materials sometimes(they used recycled rubber tires for a client who is an automotive journalist), and can be restored when if needed.

1 Like

because we are talking about shoes, my country is considered as a 3rd world country so big companies sell their 3rd world country products here with almost the same price but the quality is way worse. Most of the people do not notice that because they have not really tried the 1st world country products nor do they really care. I have been in contact with some small businesses who sell original brand used shoes coming from countries such as Italy or Germany. I bought 2 pairs for my mom with a price of 15$ per pair and they gave me another free pair. Of course, they are not new, but they are of good quality and in a good shape. They are trying to encourage this type of business with gifts like this. They actually did a good job because I am a new loyal customer now :slight_smile: This is a good way to reuse these products.

1 Like